Resources / Securities Offerings and Community Property Waivers

Some states have community property rules. That means that everything that you own is also owned jointly by your spouse.

Whenever investors make a decision, including an investment decision, they should specify whether it will be separate property or community property. If they live in a community property state but want it to be separate property, then they must have their spouse sign the Community Property Waiver.

In certain states, you’ll see these instructions on the form itself – the spouse also has to get the Community Property Waiver to be notarized—meaning they have to actually go and take it to a notary, the notary will check their identification, probably get their fingerprint, and make sure that they are of sound mind when they are giving their rights to this investment opportunity away.